Since 1996, Cynthia (Cindy) Batchelder has practiced family law, including separation, divorce, child custody, child support, post-divorce enforcement, and other family law related matters. Cynthia has chosen to open her own firm in Towson, Maryland with a focus on assisting clients in finding out-of-court solutions to their separation, divorce, and other family law matters.
During her many years involved in divorce and family law litigation, Cynthia developed a strong opinion that litigation is only necessary in a few, rare cases, and that resolution of divorce issues can and should be handled outside of the courtroom in the vast majority of situations. As a result, Cynthia obtained training in mediation and collaborative law in order to shift her practice in the direction of settlement rather than litigation practices. With a true goal of maintaining family relationships for the sake of children, Cynthia also obtained training and started representing children in custody litigation.
Cynthia established Batchelder Law & Mediation in January of 2018, with a passion for helping people resolve their family law issues out of court, dedicated solely to mediation, collaborative law, attorney negotiated settlement agreements, and continuing to represent children in contested custody disputes. Cynthia loves having the opportunity to assist clients and work with professionals who are also dedicated to working on out-of-court settlements that will serve clients and their children over time financially, emotionally, and otherwise.
Education and Admissions
- Cynthia received a B.A. in Psychology from Emory University (1991) and a J.D. from the University of Baltimore School of Law (1995).
- Cynthia was admitted to practice law in the State of Maryland in 1995.
Associations and Continuing Education
Cynthia has participated in the following continuing education:
- Child Counsel Training (2011)
- Mediation Training (2015)
- Interdisciplinary Collaborative Practice Training (2016)
- AAML Institute for Family Law Associates (2011, 2012, 2014)
- Parent Coordination Training (2018)
- Advanced Mediation Training (2019)
Cynthia is a member of the following associations:
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Collaborative Professionals of Baltimore
- International Association of Collaborative Professionals
- Volunteer Mediator, Conflict Resolution Center of Baltimore County